Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas Nuts'n'Bolts

Growing up my aunt and my cousin ALWAYS made my cousin's 4H Nuts'n'Bolts for Christmas. When I moved out on my own I started to make their delicious Christmas snack.  Then I met my husband and that first Christmas he was so happy to see I make Nuts'n'Bolts. His late grandmother had always made Nuts'n'Bolts and when she passed away there were no more Nuts'n'Bolts. I sometimes wonder if he only married me for my Nuts'n'Bolts. 

I usually make 2 big bathes but this year I'm starting with 3 batches and if I have enough ingredients left I'm making a 4th batch. Because you can never have enough Nuts'n'Bolts and once they're gone...they're GONE! 



I know...I know...you want the recipe. So...HERE it is. Careful...it is soooooo delicious!

Maureen's 4H club Nuts'n'Bolts recipe

(these are the quantities I used today)
8 cups of Crispex or Shreddies (I'm using Shreddies this year)
8 cups of Cheerios
4 cups of Peanuts
1 bag of Alphabet Pretzels (President's Choice...6 cups) you can use sticks or small pretzels too 
1 cup (1/2lb) of butter (melted)
1 cup of cooking oil
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of spices/salts.  It calls for Seasoned Salt, but I also add, Mrs. Dash, Steak Spice, Garlic Salt & Onion Salt
 
Liquid mix - Melt butter, stir in everything else.  
In a giant roasting pan - mix in the dry ingredients then pour the liquid mix over top, stirring until completely mixed
Cook at 250 for 1hr, stirring every 15 minutes.

Let cool and hope you have LOTS of big Tupperware containers.

16 comments:

  1. I normally call this a party mix, but nuts and bolts is SO much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother use to always make these. I tried my hand at it this year, and my grandson liked them so much he asked for some more kibbles and bits lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Nuts & Bolts before. Will try the recipe soon, but I have to make sure every ingredient is Gluten Free, including the Pretzels, so no Alphabet Pretzels and will probably be a lot like Chex Mix. Wish that the recipe could be made in a Crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be made in crockpot, just google or search Pinterest.

      Delete
    2. There is a gluten free pretzel out there just sure who carries them. Likely anyone that sells glutenfree snacks.

      Delete
    3. I call mine Mari mix. Sometimes I put mine in a bowl and microwave it, on high for 2 minutes. Stirring between intervals, until nuts are crunchy. Also, if I want spicy, I use Schilling jalapeño garlic salt.

      Delete
  4. I grew up knowing this holiday treat (it was only made at Thanksgiving and had to last until New Years!) as Nuts and Bolts. You are the first person outside my family that has ever called it the same thing since everyone normally calls it Chex Mix.

    Do you actually cook this in a roaster pan to or mix it in one and then bake it in the oven? We've always made it in the over but mine is broke and will take 5-10 days to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I make SO many batches now over the holidays. I give it as gifts and we like to have a little bowl to snack on most evenings. I'm in Canada, and Chex Mix was never a big thing here (Chex hasn't been around for that many years), Nuts'n'Bolts only.

      I put it all in the the roasting pan, mix it in there and then bake it in there. But I just use the cheapie old school black speckled metal roasting pans, and once, while visiting a friend, I just bought one of those big tinfoil ones from the grocery store...it worked just as well :) ENJOY and have a wonderful holiday season :)

      Delete
  5. How much of which spices? It makes a BIG difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHOOPS! Editing it now...a total of 1/4 cup of spices. Original recipe called for 1/4 cup Seasoned Salt. I prefer to mix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well here I am again making this yummy stuff.I made the mistake of giving some to daughter and grand daughters several years ago and now they start asking in November for some...what can mother do but comply...thanks for the recipe.Fredericton NB

    ReplyDelete
  8. We made these every year to everyone’s delight, but due to a peanut allergy we changed it and added rice Chex instead of the peanuts and also added dried cranberries to the mix❣️ Delicious 😃

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGOSH - i’ve been calling it nuts & bolts for years and everybody has been calling me crazy. I can’t believe I found this recipe…. so I’m definitely making this this weekend. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Make my grandma’s recipe every Christmas, same as above but I do 4 cups of each at a time, 2 tsp’s each celery seed( to avoid so much salt) onion salt and garlic salt.(certainly can use more, I do) and 4-5 tbs (or more). Worcestershire. Microwave mixture before pouring over cereal mix, keep stirring to mix all together while pouring liquid and spices.I bake for 2 hrs, stirring every 20 minutes, cool on a sheet pan. Wipe out roasting pan before next batch! She named it Christmas jumble mix in the church cookbook, as she didn’t think people would
    know what “nuts and bolts” meant. She also stored in quart glass mason jars when fully cooled!

    ReplyDelete