Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Requested recipe - Peppercorn Brandy Cream Chicken (or Chicken Madagascar)

@GraceInTheKitchen tweeted the other day and asked what special dish we would like to have cooked tonight. I immediately replied "Chicken in a peppercorn brandy cream sauce". It's a delicious dish my Mum makes.

When I tweeted that I had a couple requests for the recipe. So I emailed my Mum and here it is. It is not an original family recipe but rather from a cookbook. I'm not sure what recipe posting rules are but the cookbook is credited. It's AMAZINGLY delicious and I highly recommend it. I could live on the sauce alone.

Please note: if you know where in Ottawa I can find green peppercorns please post in the comments or tweet me...my Mum can't find them at Bulk Barn anymore and they really make the recipe :)

Chicken Madagascar from Harrowsmith Cookbook Volume Two

INGREDIENTS
2 chicken breasts
Worcestershire sauce.
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 oz brandy
2 cloves garlic
1 oz strong chicken stock
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1/2 c whipping cream
1/2 Tbsp green peppercorns

DIRECTIONS
- Debone and skin chicken breasts (or just use boneless/skinless)
- Pound between wax paper until meat is of even thickness.
- Melt butter and saute garlic and shallots.
- Add chicken and brown lightly, but do not overcook.
- Remove meat and keep warm.
- Add peppercorns and Worcestershire sauce and mash peppercorns.
- Add brandy and chicken stock and cook over high heat to reduce liquid and deglaze pan.
- Reduce heat, add cream and salt and simmer, stirring constantly, until cream begins to thicken.
- Return chicken and continue to simmer until chicken is heated through.
Serves 2

We usually serve it over rice so that it absorbs the extra sauce, basically the rice becomes a sauce delivery system :) :) :)

ENJOY!

Location:Jackson Crt,Ottawa,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment