Thursday, June 9, 2011

A New Piece, A New Viewpoint

It's funny...I haven't taken a ballet class or any dance class in 5 years, but I think of myself as a dancer. I feel confident that I could walk into an audition or a studio and I would be able to learn an enchainment or a piece of choreography no problem (except Hip-Hop...I can't figure out Hip-Hop!). And not only could I learn it but I would do a fabulous job.

And acting, well, I never worry about that. Put a script in my hand and I look forward to analyzing, studying, creating, learning and performing. I've always been an actress. When aren't I performing? ;)

However, although I've been taking voice lessons going on TWELVE years now (!!!) I still feel like a child who doesn't know what she's doing.

And then a night like tonight happens and I realize I'm better than I think. I mean I know I can sing, but it's more than that.

The piece I learned tonight is not the most complicated composition, or the longest, and I've heard it before, but it's a beautiful piece of music, and in Italian, and I learned it in a half hour lesson well enough that, aside from memorizing the words completely, I would feel confident performing it tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I realize there is still a ton of work left to do to make it sound really beautiful, but tonight made me realize that I'm not just a dancer or an actress anymore...I'm a singer, really and truly.

With Love
~sarah~

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Jackson Ct,Kanata,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment