Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gewürztraminer

Many people hate a "sweet" wine, but I LOVE them. I write "sweet" I quotations this way, because gewürztraminers get a bad rep, so do some Rieslings for that matter.

Yes, typically speaking a gewürzts is a sweeter wine, however some can be quite dry while extremely flavourful. I'm not a fan of the overly floral ones, but a nice crisp citrus with strong apple flavours are to die for!

This evening Ian and I stopped by the Brookstreet hotel in Kanata on our way home for a bevvie. I was all dolled up for my competition earlier in the evening, and I wanted to have a drink somewhere my velvet gown wouldn't look too out of place. Brookstreet was perfect (not to mention convenient).

The only gewürzts was by the bottle and I had no intention of drinking that much, however the lovely gentleman behind the bar humoured this diva and allowed me to buy by the glass.

The wine is from the Beamsville Bench, part of the Niagara region where my mother grew up, where I spent all of my summers as a child and where our family is still working the land.

I love supporting Canadian wineries, especially local ones. And this wine was fantastic. Long and smooth, sweet and crisp. Ian got a breathful of orange on the finish. I loved the apple-y mouth I got.

It was so fantastic that I wanted a second and our wonderful server topped up my glass. The only thing missing with this fantastic wine was a nice pungent cheese. I inquired into a cheese tray but unfortunately there was little available to compliment this wine :(

Needless to say, I have a couple of recommendations (requests?). I realize a hotel bar menu must be quick and easy to manage at all times of day at all levels of busy-ness. :) However, I think these items might not be difficult to incorporate. :)
- cheese list/tray
- edamame
- oysters (okay, yes difficult but I adore them!)

Anywho, just my two cents...but either way, definitely keep that gewürztraminer, from one "sweet" wine lover to another.

With Love
~sarah~

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Jackson Ct,Ottawa,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment