Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Favourite

Yes, it's true. I have favourites.

Last year was my first year working in a school office. I was given the opportunity to "hire" some student assistants to watch the phones so that I could take a lunch break, being the only administrator in the office.

A couple of the students were hired because they needed a chance to help out the school and learn a skill, however a couple were hired because they wanted to work in the office.

One of these office assistants was my "favourite". Right away I was amazed by this student; intelligent, confident, lovely, happy. At the end of the school year I was sad to see her go off to high school. I told her she could always come back and volunteer, and that if she ever needed a reference for a job, to please use me.

She has been volunteering with a teacher in the school and continues to visit regularly.

She was in today, and I was in a meeting and missed her when she came in. I was coming out of my meeting just as she was leaving and she was writing me a lovely little message to say that she was sorry to have missed me. :) She just brightens my day, and she made me grin from ear to ear.

She is only 14 years old, but I look forward to seeing where her path takes her. I joke that I'll vote for her as Prime Minister one day. Yup, she's that good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment