Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Troll

Do you remember the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff who went trip-trapping over the Troll's bridge to eat the lovely green grass on the other side? Well I hadn't thought about it in years.

I bring it up tonight because I was "attacked" (for lack of a better word) by a "Troll" on Twitter.

For those of you not savvy of the lingo, here is a description of an Internet troll...
- A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

Now, why would I blog about something seemingly negative on my happy blog? Because although my immediate response was to feel hurt and upset, I quickly moved to a place of wonder and excitement.

Being called out and insulted for no reason other than for standing up for what I believe in and making me feel stupid for doing so is what upset me initially, as that was what the comment was designed to do.

But the reason I felt more of a joyful feeling quickly and the reason I'm blogging it as my happy thing today...is because the Troll has given me power. I'm not just a small voice that nobody hears. Something I've said or shared has upset someone with a different view or opinion than mine, so much so that they feel like their only recourses is a negative attack.

How exilerating :) I must not just be a small voice amidst the white noise of the Internet. Although I love knowing that I make people happy with the things I say, it is rather ego-boosting to know that I managed to stir up someone so that all they could do is try to growl to silence me.

I feel like I'm "making it" on this world wide web now. :) So thank you Mr. Troll. Thank you for trying to make me feel small, and stupid and insignificant. Thank you for helping me find something wonderful out of something intended to be negative. Thank you for teaching me that my voice has strength, and power, and the ability to be heard. Preaching to the choir is lovely, but is easy as well. It makes me happy to know others are listening.

With deep gratitude I thank you ;)

With Love
~sarah~

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Jackson Ct,Ottawa,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment