Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Old Boss

And by old boss I don't mean he's OLD, I mean one of my previous bosses.

I used to work in finance in Toronto and over the 8 years in finance both in Toronto and then here in Ottawa I worked for 6 investment advisors/managers. Let me tell you, working for that many A-type personalities over the years (as many advisors are) can be quite an interesting endeavor.

When I left Toronto, he was the only advisor with whom I was working. I even offered to try and work out a way, through all our modern technology, to work for him remotely from Ottawa. There were MANY reasons why we moved to Ottawa, however, this man was one of the few reasons that I would have loved to have stayed in Toronto forever. Although I LOVE what I'm doing now, working in education, I would, in a moment's notice, if there were a way, go back to working with him.

Don't get me wrong...it wasn't always a bed of roses. Our first couple of months together were turbulent to say the least and we didn't always see eye-to-eye on things. I worked with him for 4 years, which until last month with my husband, was the longest male "relationship" outside of family I had ever had! During those 4 years we developed a very solid working relationship. I enjoyed going into work every morning. I enjoyed working with HIM specifically. I had worked for some real "pieces of work" in my finance history, and please don't be confused...he could also be a "piece of work" himself at times, but he had a way of making me forget any of the bad stuff.

I might not work with him any longer, but he continues to manage my money for me (what little of it there is!), and due to the recent markets, I haven't done much of anything, so we haven't spoken in quite some time. There are some changes/advice/etc. that I need to discuss with him, and so I called today. We only spoke for a couple of minutes, as he had a client with him, so he'll call me back later today. But those couple of minutes, hearing his voice, remembering how AWESOME my days working with him were, that just made my day. Not only did it make me happy today, but a little wistful as well...remembering those 4 years.

Miss ya Freddy! :)

With Love
~sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment