Saturday, January 15, 2011

Standing up for that in which I believe

The thing that made me happy today has all made me extremely sad. Ian and I went cross-country skiing this morning. It's a beautiful snowy day here in Kanata north. We discovered that our walking trail is also a great cross-country ski trail, and we headed out for some exercise in a beautiful winter wonderland.


It was so peaceful, like a Group of Seven painting. We were enjoying our morning so much until we came across two giant No trespassing signs. And my heart broke. It really is going to happen, they are really planning to clear cut this beautiful landscape. We continued on our path ignoring the signs and continuing to enjoy our day, but my happy mood had a dark cloud.

Trying to enjoy the after glow with a hot cup of coffee in front of a roaring fire, the dark cloud pushed me to do something I have never done in my life...I wrote the email below and fired it off to every elected official I could think of to try and lend my voice in the fight to save this beautiful environment which is slated to be destroyed.

If anything I say moves you at all, I ask you to take the time and do the same. I will email you the names and email adresses of who to send it to...just ask.

Beaver Pond - South March Highlands

I have sent the "suggested" email to save the Beaver Pond - South March Highlands and now I would like to share my personal thoughts and feelings, in order to stress the seriousness of this matter. I hope you offer me the respect of reading and considering my words below.

I have never been moved by anything in my life enough to send an email to a politician. I have never been so moved to want to act out my right of civil disobedience. I have never thought about chaining myself to a tree to stop large industry.

I have read the stories, the editorials, the blogs about the destruction of the Beaver Pond area and the South March Highlands, but I never thought it would or could actually happen.

Today, as my husband and I stepped out our front door and set out cross-country skiing into our beautiful neighbourhood, we were disgusted by the No Trespassing signs posted. Blantantly ignoring these signs we continued on the trail we've taken numerous times, following in the snow prints of other skiers, walkers, dogs, kids and local residents who continue to ignore the signs and enjoy this gorgeous landscape.

As we skied the trail we saw the orange plastic barrier cutting through the trees like a huge marking from the pen of a giant plastic surgeon who is preparing his patient for deeps scalpel cuts. Only this doctor isn't trying to beautify, his work will be the destruction and disfiguration of something already beautifully radiant into something horrible that cannot be undone.

I know my voice is being raised very late in this process, and I am so very sorry that I did not speak up sooner. Helping all of the fighters who have been working hard to protect what I love and use.

My words cannot express my sadness and heartbreak at the thought of such a horrible waste of what Kanata, Ontario, and Canada prides itself...our greenspaces, our natural landscapes, our love and respect of the environment.

Canada's standing in the world when it comes to the environment has shamefully dropped. We are a nation who boasts artists whose works showcase the beauty of this land. As developement like this continues to ruin the wonder and joy of these habitats and environments, the images we have will be the only part that survives.

If the votes of your constituents matter, please take this issue seriously. Please help us to fight, help our voices to be heard. Do not allow the corporate developers to own our politicians, the way the media suggests. Rather, fight for the people who place their trust, their strength, their voice in you.

This is something I will not forget when I go to the polls, when I speak to others of politics, when I debate what and who I respect and in whom I believe. I will remember your place in this decision, in this debate, in your effort to make a difference to the outcome. Make me proud of my elected officials. Make me love my country not only for what it is...but for who it is.

The Beaver Pond and the South March Highlands are loved, and used, and cherished and will continue to be as long as they continue to be. Please ask of me what is necessary to help you help us on this matter of great importance in our community.

Thank you for your time and your consideration.

Yours very sincerely,
Sarah Stewart
Concerned voting resident of Kanata, of Ontario, Canadian

I ask again that if this matter is important to you, whether it is in my neighbourhood or for yours. Please lend your voice, your vote, your strength for this issue. Stand up and fight. Join the Facebook group, write letters and emails, let people know that our environment matters.

With Love
~sarah~

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Varley Dr,Ottawa,Canada

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, sarah!

    You can also follow the South March Highlands Coalition at www.twitter.com/southmarch

    cheers,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mitch :) I'm hoping that the little bit of support I've been able to add makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete