Monday, January 31, 2011

Playful banter

One of the things I love about being in a "front of office" position is being the face of the organization. I love the constant interactions throughout the day. The relationships that develop with my "regulars"; the mailman, the couriers, the hundreds of parents.

I love having to smile and be pleasant even when I'm not necessarily feeling it. It keeps me smiling whether I like it or not, and that's a good thing. I'd much rather be working at smiling than easily sitting there with a frown.

I love the communication in all it's forms, or the silly things that are said, the stories that are told.

Today, one of our grade 8s came down because she wasn't feeling well and wanted to call her mom so she could go home. A couple minutes later she told me her mom was on hold and would like to speak with me. I picked up the phone and a slightly exasperated mother says," do you want a kid?" the understood suggestion being her daughter. I replied with, "I'd be glad to as long as you take the other 485 for whom I'm responsible." We both shared a laugh and hungup.

I love moments and conversations like this with practical strangers with whom I have this relationship.

That silly joke brightened my afternoon gave me something to smile about, a story to retell. Just one of the many lovely moments in my job that not only make up my day, but also make me very happy.

Looking forward to the relationships I will build tomorrow!

With Love
~sarah~

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Jackson Ct,Ottawa,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment